Jawahar Lal Nehru College was established in the year 1967 with affiliated college status. It has been converted into a constituent of Ranchi University, Ranchi with effect from 24.11.1980 and latter on Kolhan University Chaibasa, West Singhbhum which was established on 12th August, 2009. The college has been included by the University Grants Commision, New Delhi in the list of colleges under section 2 (f) and 12(b) of the UGC Act 1956. It is a multifaculty college with vocational subjects. Honours in all major traditional subjects of Science, Arts and Commerce are available in the college.
The college has its on campus called Rajbari in local dialect.The famous historic palatial campus located in the heart of Chakradharpur township. Chakradharpur is a Divisional Head Quarter of the South Eastern Railway and provide a station in the Howrah-Mumbai (via Nagpur) main line.The college is about 1 kilometer from the railway station.
1967 - Jawahar Lal Nehru College founded by Late. Rudra Pratap Sarangi (MLC).
1967 - Prof. K.M Mishra became first Principal of the college.
1980 - Jawahar Lal Nehru College became the constituent unit of Ranchi University, Ranchi.
1994 - Vocational Department opened.
2005 - B.Ed course opened
2008 - BBA & Fashion Designing course is added in the vocational department.
2010 - M.A. classes in History, Political Science and Economics opened.
2011 - M.A. classes is added in Hindi and Commerce.
2011 - Wifi connectivity installed in college campus.
2012 - College website formerly launched